Lets Shag

The Shag Lamp



If you haven't noticed by now I love myself a good light fixture. Just changing the lighting in a room can drastically give it a different feel. It is so much more important than just for the function of being able to see when its dark, it sets the tone of a room.  lets be honest no one wants florescent tube lighting in their bedroom. 

I started this project thinking it was going to be simple. I got the lantern from ikea for a few bucks and had the super glue from another project. What I didn't realize was how much fabric it would take.  I started with two yards and realized very quickly that it would not be enough. By the end of the project I had used 6.5 yards of fabric! luckily I purchased it on clearance, on a sale weekend . . . also that no one bought the rest before I got back to the store. 

I started by laying out my fabric and marking every two inches on the edge of the fabric. I repeated this step on the other side of my fabric but off setting it by one inch. 


The reason for the offset is because when you connect the marks they will be diagonal creating long skinny triangles.


Once you have covered your fabric in skinny triangles its time to cut. Its not the most exciting step,  its obviously necessary. 


Keep cutting 


Until you have hundreds of skinny triangle strips ! 


I found it most convenient to hang the lantern.  Its kind of weird at first to work on something that is swinging all over the place but trust me this is the most efficient  way to work on this project. Turn on some Netflix and you will totally get in the groove. 


Now we finally get to the part that shows some results. You should by hanging your strips on the inside of the bottom of the lantern. Next pick a place and start, you can start how ever you like. I found that the easiest way for me, because of the way that my lantern was made was to follow the frame of the lantern as it spirals to the top. 




I hope you bought the industrial size bottle of glue, because your going to need it. 




Once I had reached the top, I finished off the edges by gluing the top pieces around the opening. 


I love the idea of it as a hanging light but that was not functional for the room I was placing it in so I bought a stand and attached it like a lamp shade. 



I am obsessed with the outcome. I can't wait to make one for myself !
If anyone makes this as an ombre, it would be epic.  



- Joshua 













No comments:

Post a Comment